Illustrations

9:01 PM

Haven't posted much on the blog lately, but I have definitely been busy working away at my easel. It's a balancing act: the work I'm am producing is very "illustration style/ nearing a stylized cartoon" on Mondays and Wednesdays, while Tuesdays and Thursdays are very realistic and traditional. In some ways I wish I could just keep working in the style that I want to, but bouncing back and forth really makes me take a step back and understand why I put paint down the way I do, where I simplify for a "cartoon" vs where I simplify for a "technical" portrait, what colors I can stress in one style vs what colors are necessary for another. It's actually really great! And there are definitely transitional principals for both styles: I've been more aware of my shapes (to simplify!!!) and even more aware of my value patterns! It's been great! Among all these paintings, too, i've been gathering a lot of photo materials lately--the photo shoots have been great! Thanks to everyone who helps out! The last month I have been working on two illustrations (seems like a long time, but the assignment process is slow--especially slower than when I make art on my own time.) The first is from the prompt "Baa Baa Black Sheep," and the second is a figurative narrative illustration "Cowboy & the Indian."   Both of these pieces are in Gouache on Illustration Board. It has been my first time working in Gouache, and it definitely serves me a challenge!!! Transitioning from a very workable, transparent or opaque oil paint to gouache which is only opaque and dries within a matter of seconds (aka not workable and not mixable on the canvas/board) is sometimes overwhelming. I'm working through it and learning the medium though! It definitely has it's own unique characteristics! More to come! Enjoy! 


"Baa Baa Black Sheep"

"Cowboy & The Indian"

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

I'm on Facebook

Featured Post

Gift Guide For The Beginner Oil Painter

Subscribe